Thursday, December 18, 2014

Was I walking into a trap? Normally the Egyptian galleries echoed like a big cathedral at prayer time, but today things were quieter.

A cross-over young novel for all ages






Chapter 1

“Ready to be scared stupid, Boyd?” my grandfather said. Grumpy and I loved to play games in the Egyptian galleries of the museum.
   But games weren’t the real reason why I took him to the museum almost every afternoon after school.
   We were here to dig up his memories. You see, my grandfather’s memory was crumbling like the ruins of ancient Egypt and we were here on an archaeological dig to recover the lost treasures of his mind.
   He had once been a famous Egyptologist but now he had forgotten more about ancient Egypt than I would ever learn, although he still knew an amazing amount of weird stuff.
   Playing ‘Tomb Traps and Treasures’ was our version of hide-and-seek in the Egyptian galleries. It could be scary and great fun, providing the museum staff didn’t spot us.
   I tiptoed up to a pair of seated stone pharaohs who guarded the entrance to the main hall. They looked quite stony-faced about our game.
   Regally composed in shiny black granite, their expression seemed to say: ‘tread carefully.’
   I took the warning and slowed. Was I walking into a trap?
   Normally the Egyptian galleries echoed like a big cathedral at prayer time, but today things were quieter. Looking down the hall, I could see just one clump of people near the back, inspecting a colossal pharaoh’s head.
   I held my breath, edged through the gap between the throned figures, swung my head left and then right.
    Empty spaces yawned at me. Relief.
   I started to let out a sigh, but then from behind a red granite lion, a third pharaoh shot out.
   “Got you!”
   The echoes of my grandfather’s laughter rattled among the relics.
   I let out a sharp yell of surprise. He had smuggled in a striped towel in his motorised wheelchair and wrapped it around his head to look like a pharaoh’s nemes headcloth.
    He’d frightened me stupid once again.
   Grumpy zipped away in his wheelchair. He shot down the length of the hall, scattering visitors at the far end like a bowling ball striking skittles.
   I hurried after him.
   “Sorry,” I said to the alarmed clump of people, a tour group of senior citizens. In a whisper, I said to him: “Grumpy, be careful.”
   Among the many things he had forgotten were the rules of the road. Grumpy was an expert at rolling over toes.

Excerpt from EGYPT TRAP - AMAZON KINDLE