|On the road, writing in Australia - we spotted this extraordinary creature in tropical far north Queensland ignoring the dress code...|
*National Parks caution on the cassowary.
Cassowary behaviour is unpredictable. Cassowaries can inflict serious injuries to people and pets by kicking with their large clawed feet.
- Never approach cassowaries.
- Never approach chicks - male cassowaries will defend them.
- Never feed cassowaries - it is illegal, dangerous and has caused cassowary deaths.
- Always discard food scraps in closed bins and ensure compost bins have secure lids.
- Always slow down when driving in cassowary territory.
- Never stop your vehicle to look at cassowaries on the road.
- Keep dogs behind fences or on a leash.