Tuesday, January 31, 2012

update: Writing Egypt Fiction was my 2nd job – now it's my 2nd career

My Living Flame Television commercial for natural gas won gold at Mobius International Film Festival, Chicago




What does a young writer do before he can afford to write books full time? 

(I wouldn’t wish an author’s income on anyone - at least not in their early days!)

I joined the Mad Men, working as an advertising copywriter and Creative Director in various multi-national agencies. I eventually worked in an agency with my own name on the door for almost a decade (Pond, Rice, Ogilvy & Mather).
Here are some more of my ads from my Mad Men days of my first career.

I coined this phrase back in 1979! It passed into the language somewhat and even turned up decades later on an American Cancer site

Towards the end of my ad career I chose to work for causes - like this campaign for World Vision worldwide. It also appeared on television. Along with the TV, it won a Mobius award 'best
cause campaign'
Lest we forget - for dementia

My second career... so far

Today, after years of visiting Egypt on research trips, writing fiction about ancient Egypt and archaeology is finally my career - and writing advertising for causes is my second job.

 Years of experiencing and researching Egypt

Here below is my series of adventure thrillers about a renegade outsider, Egyptologist Anson Hunter, an adventurer and theorist who has a vast and arcane knowledge about ancient Egypt's religious and magical practices... and a healthy respect for dangers today from the ancient past.

We first meet Anson Hunter in The Smiting Texts. Here is the series.


NEW
UPDATE 2023