Wednesday, April 11, 2018

STILL HIDDEN. The Secret Egypt Below

Hidden mysteries beneath the sands

I think about it every time I visit Egypt to research my novels.

Underneath Egypt is ancient Egypt.

It sounds like a statement of the obvious, but for me it’s a heady reminder of the hidden. 
What mysteries lie beneath, buried by thousands of years of drift sand and detritus? 
Especially since antiquities authorities estimate that 70 percent of Egypt's treasures still remain to be discovered.

It makes me imagine that the soles of my shoes are ground-penetrating electrodes. (Or wish they were.)

This is what inspires me to explore with the tools of fact (research) and the imagination.

Is there still a Great Lost Labyrinth to be found? (As dramatised in my novel “The Smiting Texts”.)

Is there a ‘holocaust sun’ of Sekhmet-Hathor lying hidden, ready to trigger disaster? (‘Hathor's Holocaust’.)

Is there a forbidden stone Book of Thoth, a Destiny Stela, hidden in a sanctuary beneath the sands as revealed in ‘The Ibis Apocalypse’?


And of course, under ancient Egypt, there is yet another layer, the underworld of Egypt, a mythological element that tantalizes me and lies beneath the surface of my ancient Egypt adventure thrillers.