Friday, March 1, 2024

Should fiction writers write novels with a metaphorical movie director sitting at their elbow?

I am often told, “you should make film of your novel.” I take that as a compliment rather than an imperative. Yes, I do think visually. It comes from years as a creative director in the 'Madmen' world of international advertising agencies. I am even known to do a mock-up a novel scene as a mini movie storyboard of a novel. It helps to keep a project concrete and real over the long period of writing. But no, I am more interested in the internalized and therefore unfilmable narrative of my character's thoughts and feelings, such as those of the rogue and conflicted British Egyptologist in my Anson Hunter series. If I had to pick the most filmable of my titles, I’d probably nominate THE IBIS APOCALYPSE. Book or movie, which should come first?
(examples of visual thinking, using scrap art)

No comments: