Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do you prefer ancient Egypt historical fiction – or modern adventure set against Egypt’s past?

Egypt fiction set in the past - or modern adventure set against the past?


A childhood favourite

I began by relishing historical ancient Egypt fiction - especially Mika Waltari’s The Egyptian – but in my own writing so far I prefer to explore the ancient past through a modern sensibility.

I prefer my main character, such as my controversial rogue Egyptologist Anson Hunter, to be a hero who collides with the ancient past and its dangers  - rather than be a character who lives in another time.

I’m not sure I would even read a 'costume drama' set in Egypt any more, let alone attempt to write one.

What sort of Egypt fiction do you prefer?

The Anson Hunter Egypt adventure thriller series