Friday, July 20, 2012

Had the dust of Egyptology combusted in a flash of science fiction? he wondered.

From the Blog of renegade Egyptologist Anson Hunter in "Egypt Eyes archaeology thriller
Egypt Eyes - Egypt fiction on Kindle

 
I flinched as I shone my flashlight beam in the darkness.
Ahead I saw an alien, pyramid-shaped entrance bordered by swarms of eyes, dozens, hundreds… thousands.
This is just wrong for ancient Egypt.
It’s as if the dust of archaeology and aeons of ancient history have suddenly combusted in a flash of science fiction.
“Tell me what you see,” the blind female Egyptologist beside me said.
I searched for the right words.
Virgil Powell, the UFOlogist, spoke before I could form an answer.
“What he sees are countless alien eyes bordering a triangular doorway. He also sees the evidence that he dreads staring back at him, and his silence says that this discovery does violence to everything he knows and believes.”
Ancient aliens? Just the mention of that is a career killer for anyone in Egyptology, even a renegade outsider like me, and it’s probably a religion killer, too. Especially my religion, such as it is. I can recall wrestling with my faith just about every day of my working life in my chosen occupation as I go about rubbing shoulders with pagan deities and immersing myself in the religious practices of the ancient past. I haven’t made it easy for myself to cling to the few, old-fashioned ideas about Christianity that I value and this sort of collision doesn’t help.
It’s a wrecking ball.