Saturday, September 15, 2012

What was my inspiration for writing THE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY MURDERS?



THE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY MURDERS is something very different and separate from my fiction series about the renegade Egyptologist Anson Hunter. The protagonists are a regenerating Isis herself and Jennefer, a young female trainee curator at one of the world's most famous museums.

In a sense, it’s fan fiction. I was smitten by Rider Haggard’s ‘She’ as a younger man. 

I guess we all start out life as clean skins and certain books leave indelible marks on us. If that's true, then "She" left me tattooed like the illustrated man.

Does the novel have echoes of "SHE"?

I have always relished the fun of the macabre and can’t resist shows like The Walking Dead and I loved The X-Files. Interestingly, here’s Scully and Mulder with Isis and Osiris.

Isis and Osiris, two deities at the centre of my novel

Hopefully I’ve put a new spin on the mummy mythos with THE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY MURDERS.

I hoped to make THE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY MURDERS an emotional and engagingly human read and I was pleased to hear my editor describe the book as “quirky, fascinating and unexpectedly beautiful…” adding, “I really liked Isis and found myself rooting for her, in spite of her actions and dreading the possible consequences of her achieving her goal of returning the Death God Osiris to the world and unleashing catastrophe!”

This book is no doubt quirky. In one scene, the regenerating Isis actually Googles herself, and that has to be a first!

In Hollywood movie speak, I’d have to describe THE EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY MURDERS, as:

‘SHE’ meets ‘THE MUMMY’(the movies and Anne Rice novel) and the X-FILES and THE WALKING DEAD, with, bizarrely perhaps, a  touch of ROMAN HOLIDAY thrown in, except this novel is set in London. Many of the scenes take place in The British Museum, a place I love to haunt. (My other favourite museums are The Egyptian Museum in Cairo, The Louvre in Paris and The Metropolitan in New York.)


Much of my novel is built around The British Museum