Friday, April 5, 2013

Confession: I write fiction about ancient Egypt’s unseen forces AND wrestle with a Christian faith


A terrible contradiction?


Here is a confession by an author who writes about Egypt’s supernatural forces in an adventure fiction series… and yet clings to some old fashioned beliefs.

A bit about me…

Like my British archaeological hero Anson Hunter, I call myself an Anglican. 

But God probably wouldn’t agree.

Like my archaeological hero Anson Hunter, I wrestle with a classical faith.

Unlike my hero, I do not sit on the fence as persistently as he does.

How do I defend my beliefs – and Anson’s?

People who disbelieve in the numinous – in a God, evil, unseen realities – generally think they do so as a result of superior intellects.

Maybe.

One thing is certain. They have smaller imaginations.

How do I explain my affinity with ancient Egypt?

It’s a mystery that goes way beyond logic and it’s an attraction that took hold of me as a small child.

Reincarnation? 

That’s a bit hard to reconcile with faith.

The idea of being born again cuts across accepted faith and with the idea of Christ’s redemption once and for all upon the cross.

What would be the point of it all be if we were simply reborn again and again? If we can pay for our sins and achieve salvation through our own efforts, improving ourselves over many lifetimes, then the sacrifice of Christ becomes a nonsense. Hebrew 9:27 says And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement.’

And yet… And yet…

Egyptologists rarely acknowledge the fact, but the Egyptians certainly did believe in a cycle of rebirth.

As the Greek Herodotus said: The Egyptians were the first who asserted that the soul of man is immortal... constantly springing into existence... and this revolution is made in three thousand years.

Have I been here in this place before? I’ve often asked myself this question.

And so, like Anson Hunter, I wrestle on…