Friday, March 20, 2015

Egypt to build new capital beyond Cairo? Imagine what might be found/built over!

I hope the builders of a new Egyptian capital remember this truth
I think about it every time I visit Egypt to research my novels.
“Underneath Egypt is ancient Egypt.”
It sounds like a statement of the obvious, but for me it’s a heady reminder of the hidden. What mysteries lie beneath, buried by thousands of years of drift sand and detritus?
It makes me imagine the soles of my shoes are ground-penetrating electrodes. (Or wish it.)
This is what inspires me to explore with the tools of fact (research) and imagination.
Is there still a Great Lost Labyrinth to be found? (as I dramatise in “The Smiting Texts”)
Is there a ‘holocaust sun’ of Sekhmet-Hathor lying hidden, ready to trigger an ancient apocalypse on humankind? (‘The Hathor Holocaust’)
Is there a forbidden stone Book of Thoth, a Destiny Stela, hidden in a sanctuary beneath the sands as I revealed in ‘The Ibis Apocalypse’?
And of course, under ancient Egypt, there is yet another layer, the underworld of Egypt, another mythological element that tantalizes me and lies beneath the surface of my ancient Egypt series of adventure thrillers – and other novels such as ‘The Delta Dilemma'.
Come join me on a dig in the Egypt of the mind.