Saturday, October 13, 2018

TOUCH EGYPT – or why I prefer my fiction on Kindle... Egypt investigative excitement at your fingertip


Digital Egypt fiction reading

Today, I prefer ‘in touch’ e-fiction to the 'dead-tree technology' of printed books... (though I still love, and am eternally indebted to, print)

I never thought I'd say it.

While I sell fiction in both forms, I get far more satisfaction from selling my ancient Egypt adventure thrillers in e-book form than in paperbacks.


Maybe I'm just over the dead-tree technology of paper publishing. 



Print version

The ebook evolution


There's something alive and immediate about e-books that breathes new life into reading - and being read.  It puts Egypt at your fingertip.

E-books are fresh - they avoid the glacial slowness of book publishing and literary agencies. E-books seem to me to be the perfect medium for capturing and sharing the quicksilver nature of ideas. (You don’t wait up to 2 years for your book to emerge. It's out there while the idea is hot.)

Yet, ironically, there is a permanence about e-books that paper, and even papyrus, could never achieve.

They don't yellow, fade, gather mildew, dust and eventually rot.

You can read in the dark, don't need to angle that bedside lamp just right.

You can live a mobile life and have your books.

They don't smell like books, true, but neither do they smell of dust.

E-books don't go out of print either. They are forever. In fact there is a permanence about e-books that I admire in the ancient Egyptian civilization itself.

So for me it's the perfect way to touch readers and bring a long dead civilization to life.