Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A mysterious emailer 'Seshat' intrigues Egyptologist Anson Hunter... Egypt adventure fiction

Who is Seshat in 'The Forbidden Glyphs'?


Chapter 3
There was no getting away from Egypt even in Washington.

His view from the hotel room overlooked the Potomac River, the Lincoln Memorial, Memorial Bridge and the sky-piercing Washington Monument. His eye went up to the pyramidion on top of the monument’s obelisk, the tallest in the world.

Rameses would have approved.

A glassy ting from his laptop on a table announced the arrival of an email and he went to it, drawing up a chair.

He read the email, and then again.

Then he scrolled back to the top and clicked ‘text to speech’ and sat back as a female computer voice read the email back to him.

The female computer voice imparted a trance-like tone of an oracle to the words.



Dear Anson,

You can only know me by the name of Seshat.

This is my cover, the ‘veil that no man may lift’, as the Great Goddess of Egypt said.

 I am writing to you in secret about your search for a great secret of ancient Egypt.

I have followed your career, theories and spectacular discoveries as an alternative Egyptologist and I know you are pursuing your latest theory.

I also know your heart and why this search is crucial to you.

You have reached a stage in your career where you feel guilt about letting dangers into the world through your investigations. You are fighting a personal darkness and you long to leave some light to humankind, lost knowledge, all the secret wisdom of ancient Egypt.

I will be at your side at every step, watching your progress and helping you in every way I can…

Be on your guard. Others are also pursuing the discovery you seek, people who desire its secrets and power for themselves.


Seshat, Mistress of Knowledge











“Seshat,” he said in a murmur. “Mistress of Knowledge.”

Coming after his dream, the name produced a soft flutter inside his ribs, like a bird panicked in its cage, and before the critical faculty kicked in, his fantasies broke free and took flight.

Men called her their muse, origin of the word museum, others thought of her as the ‘white goddess’ of myth and poetry. She was the universal heart’s desire that glimmered like a ghost in the mind, inspiring bravery, creativity, achievement, sex and ecstasy.

Men would cross oceans, go into space or try to cure cancer for her approval.

Or they’d spend their lives searching for secrets of the past in the sands of Egypt as he had done.

She was always there in the corner of the eye, watching, judging and sometimes, rarely, smiling.

The Greeks called her Aphrodite, Artemis, Hera, the ancient Egyptians Isis, Hathor, Neith, Seshat…

Shakespeare called her The Dark Lady of his Sonnets.

Every man had a goddess and Anson had a whole pantheon.

Now I’ve got one who sends me emails, he thought.

It brought him back to earth.

No doubt the female who had written this email had done so calculatedly, looking to find just such a resonance inside him.

Someone is playing my song, Anson thought.

But who was she?

He spun through his memory like the pages of a teledex , picturing females from his past and present. The fluttering pages failed to pause on any and soon he was going through the same gallery again, women he had known from his investigations in The Smiting Texts, Hathor Holocaust, Ibis Apocalypse, Anubis Intervention and Egypt Eyes affairs.

None seemed likely candidates. A secret observer perhaps?

That only fed into his fantasy about a muse watching him from the wings of his life and that brought him right back to Seshat.

This was getting him nowhere.

He must draw his mysterious correspondent out into the open and shine a light on her.

Anson composed a reply.



Dear Seshat,

Have I attracted a cyber stalker?

Who are you and why are you camouflaged behind the leopard-skin dress of an ancient Egyptian goddess? How apt that you have chosen Seshat, the very goddess who is related to my latest theorising in my yet to be completed book The Seshat Source, which I have only just discussed with my Washington publisher.

You seem to know a good deal about me.

Could you have learnt this much about me simply by reading my blogs and books? I doubt it. That leads me to several possible, or some impossible, conclusions.

One, you’re a mischievous hacker who has invaded my personal cyber space with unknown intentions.

Two, you are the modern day incarnation of Seshat, the Silicon Goddess, recognised by many as the mistress of computers and the Internet and therefore ubiquitous, which explains why you know so much about me.

Three, you are truly the ancient Egyptian goddess of knowledge and writing herself and so I am known to you as an invader of your ancient architectural structures.

Or -- finally -- you’re someone who knows me uncomfortably well and wants to play around with my head. My ex-wife May, I wonder. No, while she has reason enough to torment me, she has an aversion to ancient Egypt. So which are you?

Goddess, unveil yourself, or I will file any further emails in ‘trash’ unopened!

He clicked ‘send.’ The email whooshed away.

Excerpt from 'The Forbidden Glyphs' - Egypt's Lost Library of secrets and technology. Trigger for a dangerous new age.